This label can be found on

Foods that are sold under the Organic Valley and Organic Prairie brands. Other companies can use the seal as well, as long as their products are certified organic. Other companies that use the seal include Annie’s, Kemps (milk), and Foster’s (milk).

ORGANIZATION: Organic Valley (Cooperative Regions of Organic Producer Pools or CROPP)

url: www.organicvalley.coop

LABEL STANDARDS: USDA organic standards (7 CFR 205)

 

Background Image

Background Image

What this seal means 

A closer look behind the standards

The standards behind this seal are the same as the USDA organic standards.

Background Image

Background Image

Is the seal verified?

Yes. The seal is primarily used by Organic Valley, which only markets certified organic foods. Organic Valley allows other companies to use the seal, as long as it is displayed only on products that are certified organic and also display the USDA Organic seal. Organic certification includes on annual on-farm inspection, verification of an “organic systems plan,” possibility of unannounced inspections, and periodic residue testing.

What percentage of the ingredients have to be certified?

To be labeled organic, at least 95 percent of the ingredients have to be certified organic (by weight or fluid volume, excluding water and salt). While the remaining 5 percent of ingredients do not need to be certified organic, they have to meet other criteria and cannot be GMO.

Is the meaning of the seal consistent?

Yes. The seal can be used only when the product is certified organic. Producers have to meet all requirements in the organic standards in order to be certified and label their products as “organic.”

Are the standards publicly available?

Yes. The USDA organic standards are publicly available.

Is the organization free from conflict of interest?

Yes (same as USDA Organic).

Were the standards developed with broad public and industry input?

Yes (same as USDA Organic).